The FFIRI spokesperson said the visa denial “has nothing to do with sports .” They also stressed that this is a decision that directly affects the preparations of the Iranian national team.

Iran will not be included in the 2026 World Cup draw (Photo: Getty).
Iran is on the list of 19 countries whose citizens are restricted from entering the US under an executive order issued by President Donald Trump in June. Although the regulation provides exceptions for athletes, coaches or those “in essential support roles” participating in the 2026 World Cup or major sporting events, in this case that exception does not apply.
Speaking to the Tehran Times, FFIRI spokesman Amir Mehdi Alavi said: “We have informed FIFA that the decisions taken are completely unsportsmanlike and the Iranian delegation will not participate in the 2026 World Cup draw.”
According to the Tehran Times, FFIRI President Mehdi Taj was one of three people whose visas were denied by the US State Department. Meanwhile, four other members, including coach Amir Ghalenoei, were approved. Previously in October, Iranian media reported that both Taj and Ghalenoei were denied visas, forcing FFIRI to work directly with FIFA President Gianni Infantino to resolve the matter.
FIFA President Infantino has said that “everyone will be welcome” at the World Cup, which kicks off on June 11 in Mexico City. Speaking on the sidelines of a European Club Association (ECA) meeting on October 9, he said FIFA is working closely with the US government to resolve visa issues.
“We have discussed with the White House and relevant ministries. There will be no visa problems for teams and delegations to the 2026 World Cup. FIFA is also looking for solutions for fans,” he said.

FIFA hopes the US will ban visas for Iranian fans cheering on their team at the 2026 World Cup (Photo: Getty).
FIFA then introduced the FIFA Pass program, which gives World Cup ticket holders priority in the visa processing. However, FIFA also stressed that this priority does not guarantee a visa.
According to Politico magazine, fans of Haiti, a country that just won a ticket to the World Cup but is also on the entry restriction list, are allowed to apply but still risk “not being eligible for a visa or entering the US”.
Source: https://dantri.com.vn/the-thao/iran-tuyen-bo-tay-chay-le-boc-tham-world-cup-2026-20251129122234385.htm






Comment (0)