According to the military, in the early hours of May 19, a group of about 50 people in camouflage attacked the residences of the Prime Minister, the Minister of Defense, and a senior politician believed to be poised to become Speaker of Parliament.
Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi. Photo: Reuters
Authorities called it a planned coup. The group broke into the Palais de la Nation in the heart of Kinshasa – the main residence and workplace of President Felix Tshisekedi.
According to videos on social media, armed men can be seen approaching the entrance to the Presidential Palace, smashing the glass doors. They unfurled flags from Zaire (the old name for Congo) and chanted: "Long live Zaire!"
Shortly afterward, security forces moved in and shot dead the group's leader – Congolese politician Christian Malanga – along with three others. The army said about 40 others were arrested.
Christian Malanga, 41, calls himself "President of New Zaire." He settled in the United States before returning to Congo to campaign and stir up opposition to the current Congolese political class.
According to military spokesman Sylvain Ekenge, Malanga had previously threatened to overthrow President Tshisekedi on social media. In 2017, he attempted his first coup but failed.
Congolese authorities said those involved in the coup plot included Congolese citizens along with people of various other nationalities. Three American citizens, including Malanga's son, were among those detained. The US ambassador said the US would cooperate fully with Congolese authorities and hold any American citizens involved accountable.
Political analyst Tresor Kibangula at Congo’s Ebuteli Institute said the speed at which the coup attempt was thwarted showed the plotters did not pose a major threat, but the fact that they attacked highly secure targets was cause for concern.
The incident occurred at a sensitive time for President Tshisekedi, who is struggling to contain a two-year offensive by Rwandan-backed rebels in eastern Congo, which risks escalating into a larger conflict.
Ngoc Anh (according to Reuters)
Source: https://www.congluan.vn/cuoc-dao-chinh-that-bai-o-chdc-congo-da-dien-ra-nhu-the-nao-post296277.html






Comment (0)