Senegal's foreign ministry said in a statement late on Thursday that President Umaro Sissoco Embalo, ousted in the coup, had arrived in Senegal on a special flight following intervention by the West African regional bloc ECOWAS.
The Supreme Military Command for the Restoration of Order announced on Wednesday that it had seized power from Embalo. It said the move was in response to a destabilization plan involving local and foreign drug lords and drug lords. It was the ninth coup in West and Central Africa in the past five years.

Dressed in military uniform and flanked by other military officials, Mr Inta-a made his first public appearance as leader in a ceremony broadcast on state television on Thursday. He said the coup was necessary to stop a plot by “drug traffickers” to “hijack Guinea’s democracy” and said the transition would last a year, starting immediately.
During his swearing-in ceremony on Thursday, he appointed Major General Tomas Djassi as Chief of the Army General Staff.
The coup came a day before provisional results in the race between incumbent President Embalo and his rival Fernando Dias, a 47-year-old newcomer .
After the coup, President Embalo quickly called the French media to announce that he had been deposed.
African Union Chairman Mahmoud Ali Youssouf condemned the coup in a statement. Heads of state from the West African regional bloc ECOWAS also condemned the coup, according to a post on X.
Guinea-Bissau is a small coastal country located between Senegal and Guinea, and a transit point for cocaine from South America to Europe. Under Embalo, the cocaine trade seemed to be booming.
The country has been rocked by at least nine coups and attempted coups from 1974, when it gained independence from Portugal, until 2020, when Mr Embalo took office.
Source: https://congluan.vn/dao-chinh-o-guinea-bissau-tuong-quan-doi-tuyen-the-nham-chuc-tong-thong-bi-lat-do-den-senegal-10319585.html






Comment (0)