
The Imperial Citadel has a nearly square layout, each side measuring approximately 600m, built of brick, 4m high and 1m thick, surrounded by a protective moat, with four gates for entry and exit: the main gate (south) is Ngo Mon, the east gate is Hien Nhon, the west gate is Chuong Duc, and the north gate is Hoa Binh . The bridges and lakes dug around the outside of the citadel are all named Kim Thuy.

Ngo Mon Gate is the main southern gate of the Hue Imperial Citadel, also considered the face of the Imperial Citadel and the feudal dynasty. It is currently one of the Nguyen Dynasty architectural relics within the Hue Imperial Citadel complex. Ngo Mon Gate – meaning "midnight gate" – faces south and is the largest of the four main gates of the Hue Imperial Citadel.

This is a ceremonial platform where many events of the Nguyen Dynasty took place, and also a gate exclusively for the king or envoys when they visited Vietnam. On August 30, 1945, at the Ngo Mon Gate in Hue, the abdication ceremony of King Bao Dai - the last king of the Vietnamese feudal dynasty (Nguyen Dynasty) - took place. He handed over two symbols of royal power, the Imperial Seal and the sword representing military authority, to representatives of the Provisional Government and the Viet Minh before becoming a citizen of an independent country.

Ngo Mon Gate is located south of the central throne in Thai Hoa Palace. In terms of scale, it is the largest of the four gates of the Hue Imperial Citadel. Based on the compass of Eastern feng shui, the south direction corresponds to the "Ngọ" direction on the "Tý-Ngọ" axis (North-South). The name Ngo Mon Gate originates from this, signifying space and direction, not time as many mistakenly believe. Although it is the main gate, Ngo Mon Gate is not frequently used due to its highly ceremonial nature. The gate is usually kept closed, only opening on special occasions such as when the King enters or leaves the Imperial Citadel with his entourage, or during important receptions of foreign envoys.

The Five Phoenix Pavilion is situated atop the platform, elevated by a 1.15m high foundation that runs the entire length of the U-shaped platform. The pavilion has two floors, with a wooden frame made of ironwood supported by 100 pillars. Some believe the number 100 represents the harmonious unity of "yin and yang," while others interpret it as symbolizing the strength of the people.

The lower roof sections are interconnected, curving around to cover the corridor. The upper roof is divided into nine sections. The central section of the Five Phoenix Pavilion is covered with yellow glazed tiles and served as the emperor's residence. The remaining eight sections are covered with blue glazed tiles.

The Hien Nhon Gate is located on the eastern side of the Hue Imperial Citadel, used by officials and men to enter and exit the Citadel. The Hien Nhon Gate was built in 1805 during the reign of Emperor Gia Long. During the reign of Emperor Minh Mang, in 1833, the gate's decorative elements were embellished with mosaic tiles. It was restored once more during the reign of Emperor Khai Dinh. During the 1968 war, the gate was completely destroyed by bombs and artillery fire.

After 1975, the gate was restored to its original state. Today, Hien Nhon Gate is used as an exit for tourists visiting the Imperial Citadel.

The Chương Đức Gate is located on the western side of the Imperial Citadel. Besides serving as a gateway for the ladies of the palace to enter and exit, along with the Tây Khuyết Tower, the Chương Đức Gate also contributed to the defense and protection of the court and the royal family; it also created a separation between the palace's daily life and the outside world. The concept of "male on the left, female on the right, men being virtuous and women being virtuous" was an important principle in the architectural works of the Nguyễn dynasty.

The Chương Đức Gate has three levels, with the gate pillars divided into many compartments, each decorated with different themes, featuring paintings and unique works of art. The roof is covered with yellow glazed tiles; the raised, round tile ends are engraved with the character "Thọ" (longevity) within a circular frame, while the recessed tile ends are engraved with bat heads—a common decorative motif in Nguyễn Dynasty relics, signifying "Happiness, Longevity, Health, and Peace."

The Hoa Binh Gate is the northern gate of the Imperial Citadel, used by the king for outdoor excursions. Originally, it was called the Cung Than Gate, built in the style of a three-arched gate with a tower. In 1821, it was renamed the Dia Binh Gate, and in 1833, it was renamed the Hoa Binh Gate again. In 1839, the king ordered the upper part of the tower to be removed. In 1894, during the reign of King Thanh Thai, it was restored. The Hoa Binh Gate has a rather unique structure, a three-arched brick gate but with only one floor, a roof truss, and a tiled roof like a palace. Originally, the Kim Thuy Bridge connecting the gate across the Noi Kim Thuy Lake to the front of the Tuong Loan Gate of the Forbidden City was built in the "upper house, lower bridge" style with a tiled roof, but this roof has now been completely removed.

The gate, traditionally known as the "Back Gate," connected the Imperial Citadel (Dai Noi) to Hoa Binh Street (now Dang Thai Than Street). The back gate to the Imperial Citadel, where Emperor Bao Dai's house was built in a new architectural style, faced the pavilion of Emperor Tung De and the Citadel's airport. During the reign of Gia Long, Hoa Binh Gate was called the "Gate of Worshiping the Gods." Under the reign of Minh Mang, it was renamed "Dia Binh Gate" (in 1821), and then Hoa Binh Gate in 1833. This gate had an upper floor called "Hoa Binh Pavilion," also known as "Hau Ho," or Hoa Binh Lake. According to researcher Phan Thuan An, it was here that revolutionaries Tran Cao Van and Thai Phien secretly contacted Emperor Duy Tan to plan an uprising in 1916, but it ultimately failed. It should also be mentioned that at the end of Hoa Binh Street, at the corner of Hien Nhon Street, there is a small building called Binh An Duong, where concubines, maids, or eunuchs from the palace would come to recuperate when they were ill.
Source: https://vov.vn/van-hoa/di-san/chiem-nguong-4-cong-vao-hoang-thanh-hue-post1114709.vov






Comment (0)